Annual Tour of Solar Places
Saturday, October 5, 2013, 10 am - 3 pm
Location: North Central Illinois
What’s it like to produce your own electricity from the sun and the wind? To live with an independent energy system? Do you need to change your lifestyle? Will the system change the appearance of your home or can it be blended into the design of your building? What does it cost? How much upkeep is needed?
These and other questions will be answered by home and building owners with solar PV and other renewable energy installations during the Tour of Solar Places in north central Illinois.
Visit the sites that interest you.
Sponsored by the Illinois Renewable Energy Association
Solar tour participants (from south to north)
• Bob & Sherry Piros, 4584 S. Chana Rd., Chana (732-7020): 5 kW PV system on barn; smart meter. Restored prairie; natural areas.
• Victor and Polly Zaderej, 3588 S. Daysville Rd., Oregon (cell only): Super insulated “one-watt” house built on German Passivhaus principles; Solar PV; earth tube.
• Bob and Sonia Vogl, 1230 E. Honey Creek Rd., Oregon, (732-7332): Hybrid grid connected photovoltaic and wind power system with battery backup; stand alone (Cabin type) photovoltaic installation. Solar greenhouse and hoop house. Over 40 acres of native and restored prairie and woodland.
• Kickapoo Nature Center, 1919 N. Limekiln Rd., Oregon (cell only): Super insulated “one-watt” building built on German Passivhaus principles. Includes earth tube. Heating from roof monitored by Oak Ridge Lab. 10 – 12 only.
• David Merrill, 139 Perene, Byron, (234-2530): Hybrid photovoltaic and wind power system with battery backup. Solar installer.
• Keith and Mary Blackmore, 9024 West Grove Rd., Forreston (938-3204): Ground mounted photovoltaic system, super-insulated house, greenhouse.
• Willem and Claudia Dijstebergen, 8730 N. Triumph Rd., Leaf River (738-2853): 3kW PV system, outdoor wood furnace. Much of the work assembled by the owner.
• Freedom Field, run by Winnebago County. 3333S. Kishwaukee St., Rockford. Non-profit organization formed to facilitate the development and operation of renewable energy center. Integrated systems including solar heating and cooling, solar PV, vertical and horizontal wind generators, green prairie roof and training/experiment stations.
1230 E. Honey Creek Rd.
Oregon, IL 61061